For more information about PCOM's Clinical Psychology Program, click here.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Philly to New York

I cannot believe the last time I wrote an entry was in March! Wow. 

Well, a lot has been happening since then and I am excited to share!

As I previously mentioned in my last entry, I decided to move to New York to be closer to my family and friends. For my 4th year, I accepted an externship with Mount Sinai’s Rehabilitation psychology and Neuropsychology placement.

So, at the end of May, (after having only moved 3 months prior**) my mom (who from here on out will be referred to as “Patty”) and I packed up my apartment in Lafayette Hill and headed for Manhattan.

**check out the Mickey Mouse picture in the entry before for a further explanation


I just have to say that, Patty is the best. I could not have done it without her and she could totally be professional mover at this point. She will probably kill me for saying that though!

It was really nice because I had some down time to move and get settled into my new place in the Murray Hill section of Manhattan before starting at my site after the Fourth of July!

However, I have to admit that even though I was born and raised in New York, living back here at first was a little bit of culture shock after having been in Philly for the past 3 years.

I found myself overwhelmed by the fast pace life of Manhattan. I was frustrated at how others were quickly annoyed with me if I did not move at the speed of light.

I mean, sorry I am not sorry, but I am not Buzz Lightyear.






Patient 1: Grocery Girl
A girl in the grocery store cut in front of me because I did not grab my basket to a quickness of her liking. Fine. I admit, I am easily distracted. But, hey, perhaps, the shine of the Fuji Apples caught my eye. Whatever, relax girlfriend. You will get a basket too. Obviously, Patty didn’t help the situation when she chimes in and says, “Jack--You’re back in New York and not moving fast enough.”

Okay, I know I just made it sound like I took an hour to grab a basket. It wasn’t. Bottom line. As a New Yorker, I found myself starting to perceive New Yorkers' according to their stereotype...Rude.


Patient 2: Blonde Girl from the 26th Floor
The second situation happened more recently in my building. I live in a high rise, which, yes, just as it sounds there are a lot of floors... so, during “rush hour,” as people are arriving home from work the elevators are extremely PACKED. This might seem obvious (and something you might consider when buying/leasing an apartment). Especially, the higher the floor you live on the longer it is going to take to get to your apartment... Common sense, no?

Well, the blonde from the 26th floor seemingly failed to understand this concept. As more and more people gathered into the tiny 4.5 by 6 foot space, the Blonde girl from the 26th floor talked loudly into her phone.

So, how did I know she lived on the 26th floor you ask? Did I see her press the 26? No.

I know this because as more and more people pressed numbers less than the number 26 her sighs became more and more elated. She then shouted and whined to the poor victim on the other end of the phone, “Oh my godddd, I hateeee living on the 26th floor, all of these people live below me and we have to stop at their floors nowwaaaaa.”

Listen.

Since, I have been in this program, I have made an academic and professional goal to try and maintain a professional decorum both in my personal and professional life. However, there are sometimes when biting my tongue is really hard, like really, really hard.

This is one of those moments where it took a whole lot of restraint, mindfulness, whooosssaas, and a Namaste in order to get the job done.

While everyone else in the elevator was scrolling through their Facebook newsfeed on their iPhones and pretending they just didn’t hear Veruca Salt. The normal and well-adjusted guy to my left was hysterically laughing because this was actually the most ridiculous scene ever. So, I turn to him, and in a not-so-whisper I say, “Yes, life on the 26th floor must be so hard with us feudal peasants living below you." He laughed even harder.


I mean, seriously?! 
  1. You’re in an elevator. No one wants to hear your conversation.
  2. See my comment regarding something you should probably consider before moving to the 26th floor.
  3. Rude
I started to wonder are New Yorkers’ really THIS rude? Was I ever perceived as rude when I moved to Philly? I am always so quick to come to the defense of how helpful and kind we really are, whenever someone stereotyped the ignorant New Yorker, but now I am not so sure...

Don’t worry; my faith was quickly restored once externship started...

So, Mount Sinai is in East Harlem... just 8 stops on the 6 train from my apartment!

One day recently while I was walking to the subway I legit face planted in the middle of the street. Not too sure how I went down, but I am thinking it was the result of a pothole.

No, I was not texting.

And no I was not wearing a pair of my crazy heels.

(For those of you that know me and are asking yourselves these exact questions).

Moving on with my story...so, I had my backpack on, weighing me down with my laptop and books in it, which propelled my body forward, and making it a really nasty fall. 

This is a picture of the "Scene of the Crime." I wanted to prove to certain family members that the road was REALLY UNEVEN... and this wasn't just me randomly falling... again. 



I mean I wasn’t out cold, but I was definitely stunned. Anyway, This nice man came running from the corner to my rescue and actually scooped me up out of the street! He was so sweet and nice; and helped make sure my backpack was zipped before I continued my walk back to the subway.

I was embarrassed and really bruised; but, I actually started to feel like I belonged in New York again.

I am starting to feel like I belong at Mount Sinai too. It’s been a little over a month now, and things have been moving full speed.

I work alongside two other externs, who are also 4th year students at their respective doctoral programs. We essentially run the entire partial hospitalization/day program for adult patients with traumatic brain injuries. The patients have significant injuries, with serious deficits and are moderately to low functioning.

Prior to this year, I have worked mainly with children and adolescents. So, working with adults is definitely a challenge; but I love being challenged.

This is also my first time working in a partial hospitalization setting. I really enjoying running groups and administering Attention Process Training (APT) (To find out more about APT click here- it's cool: Attention Process Training)...these are definitely my two favorite activities to do with the patients!

For those of you interested in neuropsychology and/or cognitive rehabilitation, I really encourage to take the neuropsychology elective sequence that is offered!

I took all of the classes in the sequence last year. I found that they really prepared me well for some of things that I will be expected to participate in this year as part of my training.

Not to mention, I think it impressed my supervisor as to how aware PCOM is of what is needed in the field of cognitive rehabilitation and neuropsychology, and how well prepared and knowledgeable we are as students** ;)

**warning this is both good and bad: good- because she gave me extra responsibilities and looks to me as a leader; but bad -when you’re dealing with REALLY competitive externs ...but, that doesn't stop me! I am just extra nice and smile more ;)

Okay, well that’s my update for now... can’t wait to update you on more exciting happenings!


Take care,


Jackie


P.S. View as I blog this morning...Hello, Brooklyn. I don't hate it.






  


















1 comment:

  1. Ok, Great Job, I love it...and yes because of the words you have written not just because you put a picture of Buzz Lightyear!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete